Securing and protecting assets are critical issues for pharmaceutical organisations no matter whether they are property, product or information related. Every week we hear of cases of theft and damage. This has led to an explosion of security products and solutions many of which are purchased as a knee jerk reaction after an incident and do not fit into a long term strategy.
A successful approach requires an assessment across four major areas.
Not all areas need to be addressed at the same time but it is imperative that each of the products and solutions selected are flexible and able to be integrated into future directions and growth.
The primary purpose of Access Control is to ensure that only appropriate people are able to enter and leave specific areas of the property and records kept of activities. Hours of operation, public holidays and access for outside contractors should also be taken into account.
Effective access control also acts as a deterrent to intruders and reduces theft and damage.
Here are some of the reasons why an Access Control System will benefit you
- Traditional keys are easy to copy unlike electronic keys
- Electronic access is faster and more convenient
- You NEVER have to change locks as keys can be cancelled or reprogrammed
- A single key provides access to all authorised areas
- Each key is able to be customised by area, date and time
- Electronic doors and locks can be operated remotely
- Management reports reflect EVERY incident and activity
Thorough initial assessments, as well as annual reviews, are key elements to installing, managing and evolving a successful access control system. Technology is accelerating so integrating new products and functionality will continue to improve security. The emergence of rented, web based hosted software is making powerful solutions cost effective for even the smallest of locations.
The primary purpose of Intrusion Detection is to ensure that when an apparent incident is recognised alarms are raised to notify staff and security so that relevant action can be taken.
In conjunction with Video Surveillance and Motion Detection the intruder can often be identified and theft and damage avoided.
Three types of alarms are burglar, fire and safety. Today these are normally integrated and monitored electronically.
Here are some of the reasons why Alarms will benefit you:
- Potential intruders will be deterred
- Fire, smoke and CO presence will be recognised and reported
- Occupants will be alerted through bells or other signals
- Intruders images will be taken and stored
- External and internal keypads enable arming and disarming
- Authorities and management will be immediately notified when an incident occurs
Just as in Access Control, thorough initial assessments, as well as annual reviews, are key elements to installing, managing and evolving successful alarm systems.
Technology is accelerating so new products and functionality will continue to improve security. In particular integration with Video Surveillance and Remote Monitoring will deliver a powerful solution.
The emergence of rented, web based hosted software is making powerful solutions cost effective for even the smallest of locations.
The primary purpose of Video Surveillance is to ensure that a visual record is taken which can be referenced in real time or later on after an incident has taken place. High quality images enable a monitoring centre to decide whether an incident is accidental or intentional and take appropriate action. Also images can identify individuals involved in unacceptable actions.
Video Surveillance acts as a major deterrent and reduces instances of criminal or anti-social behaviour.
Here are some of the reasons why Video Surveillance will benefit you:
- Potential intruders will be deterred
- Criminals can be identified and prosecuted
- Videos can be watched in real time
- IP based systems enable remote monitoring and management
- Systems can be integrated with other Security solutions such as Access Control
- Motion Detectors and Digital Video Technology minimise recording and play back times
The primary purpose of Remote Equipment Monitoring is to ensure that critical infrastructure is protected. Sensors can be attached to equipment and air conditioners and power and temperature parameters set and monitored. In the event of a failure an SMS or email can be automatically routed so that relevant people can take urgent action.
With the current focus on Green Credentials date and time controlled sensors can ensure that the use of wasteful resources such as air conditioning, lighting and electricity can be optimised. For example after working hours and at weekends air conditioning and lighting can be automatically reduced or turned off and only triggered when entry is made; naturally a record of access control activities are recorded.
Management reports will highlight access, power usage trends and equipment maintenance history.
Here are some of the reasons why Remote Equipment Monitoring will benefit you:
- Cost Savings from effective use of energy and equipment
- Power optimisation due to prioritised and managed usage
- Equipment protection due to rapid response to failures
- Business protection as incidents are responded to urgently
- Demonstrable energy reduction highlighted in Management Reports
A well-managed Security Strategy will continue to provide increased safety and protection for your organisation, computer room, Intellectual Property and IT assets. The key is to assess current priorities and requirements and to follow an evolving strategy that constantly improves results over the four areas described above and takes advantage of new and emerging technologies based on Internet Protocol and hosted services.
There are many high quality security companies that are well placed to collaborate on the right strategy for your organisation and locations. Look to find one as a strategic partner on your road to cost-effective security.
Contact us to find out about Pharma security & monitoring